At Beaudry Oil & Propane, safety is a top priority for our customers and employees. We take safety seriously and will never take shortcuts that would put you or your family at risk.
Propane (also called liquefied petroleum gas, LP gas, or LPG) is a liquid fuel stored under pressure and, in most cases, vaporized to a gas before leaving the tank. Propane is flammable when mixed with oxygen (air), and many sources can ignite it, including open flames, smoking materials, electrical sparks, and static electricity.
When used correctly, propane is a safe, economical, clean-burning, and versatile fuel. The Propane Education & Research Council compiled safety rules and information that you should share with your family to keep everyone safe and reduce the risk of severe and potentially fatal injury, fire, or explosion. Download the brochure or read below.
Propane smells like rotten eggs, a skunk’s spray, or a dead animal. Some people may not be able to smell propane easily, including older adults who may have a dulled sense of smell, those with a medical condition, or those who experience the effects of medication, alcohol, tobacco, or drugs.
On rare occasions, propane can lose its odor. Several things can cause this, including:
Because of the possibility of odor loss or issues with your sense of smell, you should respond immediately to even a faint odor of gas.
In some circumstances, you may not smell a propane leak. Propane gas detectors sound an alarm when sensing propane in the air. These detectors can provide an additional measure of security; consider purchasing one or more for your home.
Follow these guidelines for propane gas detectors:
Carbon monoxide (CO) is a colorless, odorless, tasteless, and toxic gas. Burning any fuel, including propane, produces this dangerous gas. High levels of CO can come from appliances that are not operating correctly or from a ventilation system or chimney that becomes blocked.
CO CAN BE DEADLY! High levels of CO can make you dizzy or sick (see below). In extreme cases, brain damage or death can occur.
Symptoms of CO Poisoning
If you suspect CO is present, act immediately!
LIGHTING PILOT LIGHTS
If a pilot light repeatedly goes out or is very difficult to light, there may be a safety problem. Do not try to fix the problem yourself. We strongly recommend that only a qualified service technician lights any pilot light that has gone out.
You take the risk of starting a fire or of an explosion if you light a pilot light yourself. Carefully follow all manufacturer’s instructions and warnings before attempting to light the appliance’s pilot light.
Don’t run out of gas. Serious safety hazards, including fire or explosion, can result.
Contact us if you have any questions about this critical safety information.